This is one of my favourite tofu dishes besides super yummy Tofu Vege Bolognese. It has this delicious combination of fresh veges, kidney bean, tofu and chilli that makes it such a satisfying meal. The colors also make it a ‘feast for the eyes’. 😉
In this dish I don’t add any salt because the passata and kidney beans are salty enough. The chili gives it a good kick as well, and I have got used to having it without additional salt – tastes just as good!
For 4 portions you’ll need:
1 red capsicum
1 green capsicum
2-3 garlic cloves
1 can kidney beans, drained
2/3 bottle passata (about 450ml)
1/4 cup water
2-3 teaspoon chili flakes
3 teaspoon ground paprika
some cooking oi (I use coconut oil)
1. Peel and chop the onion into fine cubes, the garlic into fine slices. Halve the capsicums, remove the stalk and seeds and cut into bite sized pieces. Slice the carrot finely.
2. On a plate, crumble the tofu (with your clean hands) to relatively fine pieces and place aside. In a good non-stick pan, heat some oil and then fry the capsicums for a short time. But long enough to have a few browned bits on them – this increases their yummy flavour.
3. Transfer the capsicums to a plate and place aside. Heat a little more oil in the same frying pan if needed then add the onions. Saute the onions for a few minutes.
4. Then add the tofu crumbles and fry until it has shrunk in size and starts to turn a little golden (approx. 10 minutes). Towards the end, add the chili flakes and shortly after, the garlic. Let cook for a few more minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Then sprinkle the ground paprika and stir to combine. Pour in the passata and 1/4 cup water shortly after and stir well. Add the carrot slices and bring to boil. Pour in the kidney beans and fried capsicum and heat up briefly.
Serve with rice or whatever else makes you happy 🙂