I’ve been thinking about making a really dense and moist chocolate cake for a while now. It was clear that I would use coconut flour as this is quite rich. And while browsing through my garden it just clicked when I saw the ready-to-be-harvested new season beetroots. They would add color, flavour and moisture as well! Together with bananas it just had to work!
The flavour was amazing – a delicious bouquet of chocolate, banana, coconut, beetroot and lemon. YUM!
Well, what I did not consider was that this cake would be so rich! It has the potential to feed a group of ten people – for the main meal! So if you are looking for a cake for a few people, better use only half the amount.
And don’t tell me I didn’t warn you 😉 The chocolate icing is a relatively thin layer. So if you’re into this kind of stuff you might want to double the ingredients 😉
Chocolate Mud Cake (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 27×17 cm tray
For the cake:
- 160 g coconut flour
- 130 g sweet sorghum flour
- 80 g buckwheat flour
- 80 g FAIR TRADE cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoon fiber husk
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ripe FAIR-TRADE Bananas (3 pc. = 600g)
- 100 g beetroot
- 1 zest of 1 spray-free lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
For the glazing:
- 70 g dates
- 2 heaped tablespoon FAIR TRADE cocoa powder
- 20 g cacao butter melted
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the banana. Grate the beetroot and zest the lemon. Transfer to the bananas and mix with the vinegar and water.
- Grease the baking tray. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir through well. Be careful not to stir for too long as this will cause the dough not to rise as good.
- Transfer the dough to the tray and spread it evenly. Bake at 190°C for approx. 40 minutes (depending on oven type). Let cool down properly before adding the icing.
- For the icing blend the dates with the water until they are a smooth paste. Then add the cocoa powder and cacao butter and blend til smooth. Spread evenly on the cake. Chill in fridge until set.