A few years ago I heard about overnight oats for the first time. The concept sounded very interesting but I never tried it, because I simply don’t eat oats. Now I came across buckwheat flakes and thought that it should work with those just as well.
And yes, it was a surprisingly good result! No cooking required, easy to make, but you still have a yummy and filling snack or breakfast.
I have used some blended berries and whole berries, desiccated coconut and lemon zest as topping. I think it would work with all sorts of fruits and or nuts and seeds. If you like it a little sweeter, you can add maple syrup or other sweeteners of your choice. You can also add some chia seeds or ground flax-seed. There are basically no limits for variations! 🙂
Overnight Buckwheat Cereal (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flakes or roughly ground, raw buckwheat groats
- 3/4 cup dairy-free ‘milk’ of your choice
- Topping of your choice I used a handful of berries, desiccated coconut and a pinch of lemon zest
- Mix buckwheat and ‘milk’ in a small bowl, cover it and place in fridge overnight or for about 8 hours.
- Prepare topping and add to the bowl just before serving.