This is one of those recipes that was just waiting to happen. For years. Why? Because I used to make a very similar sauce which was not quite as good, due to the simple fact that I didn’t blend it up!
This sauce is perfect with all sorts of meals. I have just had it with my favourite spicy potato wedges and sauteed green beans. It was delicious!
I recommend to make this sauce a few hours or even a day in advance, so it can cool down. Once you heat it up again, the flavours will taste even better.
Brown Onion Gravy (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 1 large brown onion
- some cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon OR ground allspice
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- 2 heaped teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked ground paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Peel and chop the onion into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a small pot and add the onions as well allspice. While stirring constantly, cook until they turn brownish.
- Sprinkle with rice flour, paprika and smoked paprika and stir well to mix.
- Add the water, stir well and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Take off the heat, remove as many allspice seeds as possible and blend with a stick-blender.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.