This is one of those recipes that was just waiting to happen. For years. Why? Because I used to make a very similar sauce which was not quite as good, due to the simple fact that I didn’t blend it up!
This sauce is perfect with all sorts of meals. I have just had it with my favourite spicy potato wedges and sauteed green beans. It was delicious!
I recommend to make this sauce a few hours or even a day in advance, so it can cool down. Once you heat it up again, the flavours will taste even better.
Brown Onion Gravy (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 1 large brown onion
- some cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon OR ground allspice
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- 2 heaped teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked ground paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Peel and chop the onion into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a small pot and add the onions as well allspice. While stirring constantly, cook until they turn brownish.
- Sprinkle with rice flour, paprika and smoked paprika and stir well to mix.
- Add the water, stir well and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Take off the heat, remove as many allspice seeds as possible and blend with a stick-blender.