When it comes to vegan bread spreads you won’t find much on offer in New Zealand. I’ve been spoiled for choice when living in Germany. You can buy so many different vegan options. Tofu with all sorts of flavouring and spices. Heaps of different luncheons, savory, as well as sweet spreads etc…
The good thing about this situation: it motivates me to make my own. It not only tastes better but you also know what it is actually made of.
So for this recipe I’ve used soaked sunflower seeds which are very healthy and good for a balanced diet. I blended them for not too long so as to leave a bit of rustic texture to it. While I’ve used dried tomatoes in oil (you can use dried tomatoes that have been soaked in filtered water overnight too) you can also use more tomato paste instead. It doesn’t have the same rich flavour though.
Ingredients for approx. 250ml:
• 110g sunflower seeds, soak these in water for approx. 8 hours, then rinse & drain
• 10 dried tomatoes, soak these in in water for a few hours as well, then drain
• 160g passata
• 1 heaped tsp basil
• 2-3 tsp ground paprika
• salt & pepper to taste
• a few pinches ground chili
1. Start by soaking the sunflower seeds in water for approx. 8 hours, then rinse and drain. Also soak the dried tomatoes for a few hours. Then drain.
2. Then simply blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Use within a few days. It also tastes great with different herbs and spices.