I don’t know about you, but in my garden it is cauliflower season! Cauliflower is soooo underrated!
Last year I posted a cauliflower potato casserole, but I’ve decided to replace it with this much better updated version: vegan and gluten-free cauliflower potato casserole that you will not forget! 🙂
Cauliflower Potato Casserole (Vegan, Gluten-free)
For 1 casserole you’ll need:
- 1 cauliflower
- 450 g potato
For the cream:
- 140 g cashews (soaked in filtered water for at least 4, max. 6 hours the drained)
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoon (heaped) nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon (heaped) rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste I uses 2/3 teaspoon
- 1 bunch fresh chives
- Chuck the potatoes into a medium sized pot (with the peel on) and cook until soft (approx. 30 minutes, test with a knife!). Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized chunks.
- In another medium sized pot, bring water to boil. Then add the cauliflower, bring to boil and let simmer for 1 minute. Then drain and set aside in the pot. Alternatively you can steam the cauli! ?
- When the potatoes are soft, drain them, rinse them with cold water and once they are cold enough to handle, peel them. Cut the potatoes into bite-sized chunks and chuck into the pot with the cauliflower.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. For the cream, blend all ingredients but the chives to a fine cream, adding the yeast flakes towards the end.
- Pour the cream into the pot with the cauli and potatoes, add the chopped chives (I use scissors to do the job) and gently mix everything. Scoop it into the casserole dish and bake in the oven until golden-brown (approx. 20 minutes). If it gets brown too quickly, cover with a piece of aluminum sheet or place an empty non-coated tray in the rack above.