It’s the time of the year: fig season! Thanks to some generous friends I’ve had my fair share of ripe from the tree into my mouth fig seasons. Now it was time to try a new dish with them!
After I already made a no-bake cake that works without nuts, soy or oil, I decided to try a fig tart with the same features. The filling has a mild vanilla flavour so as not to overpower the fig flavour. I’ve added the figs just before serving and it was
No-Bake Vanilla Fig Tart (Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-Free)
- Cake tin 22 cm
For the crust:
- 140 g buckwheat groats (soaked in filtered water for at least 6 hours, then drained)
- 75 g desiccated coconut
- 105 g dates
For the filling:
- 1 can coconut milk
- 110 h desiccated coconut
- 70 g dates
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 pinch salt
For the topping:
- 7 (approx) fresh figs depending on size
- For the crust, if you have a food processor, chuck the ingredients for the crust into it and process until well combined.
- If you have a good blender, first pulse the buckwheat groats and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Pulse the dates to fine crumbles and add to the bowl together with desiccated coconut. Mix well.
- Line the cake tin with baking paper. Pour the dough into the tin and press it evenly and also pull it up the sides of the tin for about 1 inch. Place the cake tin in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- For the filling, blend all ingredients to a fine cream, adding the vanilla paste towards the end. If your blender isn’t very strong, let the dates soak in the coconut milk. Take the cake tin out of the freezer and pour the filling into it. Place in the fridge or freezer until set (it does take longer in the fridge though).
- Once the filling has set, take the cake out of the freezer about an hour before serving. Remove the spring form. Cut the figs in thin slices and layer them nicely on top of the cake.
- Cut the cake while it is still firm. This way you have nice and clean cuts.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.