I love my pasta! And I love tomato based pasta sauces. One of my most favourite sauces is this recipe here for Tofu Bolognese.
But I felt like creating a sauce that is not only vegan and gluten-free but also free from soy and nuts. Since I am a huge fan of sunflower seeds, I had to try a sauce with those. And yes, they make a beautiful base! 🙂
This sauce is rich and flavourful, with just the right amount of herbs and spices. Feel free to add heaps of other vegetables (egg plant, zucchini, capsicum, you name it) 🙂
Please note: there is a bit of soaking involved in order to make this recipe. Please make sure you plan in the additional time.
No-Meat Sunflower Seed Bolognese Sauce (Vegan, Gluten-free, Soy-free, Nut-free)
- 150 g sunflower seeds soak them in filtered water for at least 6 hours, then rinse and drain
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes (without oil soak in filtered water for at least 3 hours, the drain
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or 2 (instead of 1) tablespoon water for oil-free option
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1-2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano and/or dried basil & thyme
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 2-3 teaspoon ground paprika
- 700 ml (approx.) bottle passata (pureed tomatoes)
- Heat a medium sized pan with coconut oil or water. Cook the diced onion until golden brown. Then add carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the sunflower seeds to crumbles. Add to the frying pan.
- Then chop or pulse the soaked sun-dried tomatoes and add to the frying pan. Sprinkle with dried oregano and stir through well.
- When it has cooked for a few minutes, add minced garlic and ground paprika. Stir well and then pour in passata. Rinse the passata bottle with a little water and add to the frying pan. Bring to the boil. Done 🙂