I find it quite tricky to get into a Christmas mood here in New Zealand. One reason might be that I grew up on the other side of the world where you would have cold, snowy, short days at this time of the year. Here it is exactly the other way round.
But I still keep thinking of the typical Christmas food that I used to have in Germany. Especially gingerbread. I just love the flavour!
And now I have just created this recipe for my own gluten-free, vegan ginger bread – and it just tastes soooo good! It contains only dates for sweetening, which makes it a healthy snack, too 🙂
The shape of traditional German gingerbread is normally quite flat. But I have a very small oven and so I just made them thicker instead.
Vegan, Gluten-Free Gingerbread
For the ginger bread:
- 150 g nuts almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts are a great combination
- 90 g sweet sorghum flour
- 2 teaspoon fiber husk
- 1 pinch salt
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon gingerbread spice
- 2 tablespoon FAIR TRADE cacao powder optional
- 90 g dates + 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 spray free lemon’s zest
For the chocolate glazing:
- 70 g dates
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 heaped tablespoon FAIR TRADE cacao powder
- 50 g coconut oil or cacao butter
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Blend the nuts until they are fine crumbles (but don’t grind it too fine – you want to have a few bigger bits of nuts) and transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- Add sorghum flour and the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Blend the dates with 1/2 cup water until they are a fine cream. Transfer to the bowl.
- Flush the blender with 1/4 cup water and also add to the bowl. Zest the lemon and add the lemon zest and mix the dough well.
- Line the baking tray with some baking paper. Use a spoon to scoop 10 portions onto the tray. Dip your hands in cold water to smooth and form the portions evenly.
- Place tray in the oven and bake for approx. 15-20 minutes (depending on oven type) or until the ginger breads are starting to brown. Let them cool down properly before adding the chocolate icing.
- For the chocolate glaze, melt the coconut oil by placing it in it’s container into a warm water bath. Blend the dates with 1/4 cup water until they are a smooth paste. Add cacao powder and coconut oil and blend to combine. Use a brush to spread the the icing on the gingerbread.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.