I always loved to make some kind of creamy cheesy sauce, using soy cream. But I’m not too convinced about the ingredients anymore. One day I’ve tried cashew nuts blended with water. And I was amazed! They are a very good substitute for processed soy cream!
So here is my new recipe for a creamy broccoli sauce, perfect with gluten-free pasta!
Creamy Broccoli Sauce (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- large sized frying pan
- 2 medium sized broccoli
- 1 small onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 70 g cashew nuts (soaked in filtered water for at least 4 hours the drained)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon coconut-oil
- 1 tablespoon heaped fine white rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon yeast flakes
- 1/2 small lemon’s juice
- Place the cashew nuts with the water into a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth cream.
- Cut the broccoli into little pieces, remember that you can use the trunk as well, after you’ve cut off the hard ‘peel’. Chop the onions into little cubes. Cut the garlic into fine slices.
- Heat the coconut-oil in a large sized frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook them until they are almost translucent. Add the garlic now and after stirring it in, turn down the heat and quickly drizzle the rice flour over it. Stir well so that the rice flour soaks up the fluids.
- Now add 2 cups of water and cook over medium heat until the fluid starts to thicken. Add the broccoli, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Now you can pour in the cashew nut cream, flushing it with a little water. Stir well and let heat up one more time. Just before you switch off the heat, add the yeast flakes, make sure they are stirred in well. After you switched off the heat and waited for a few minutes, you can add the lemon juice. This does not only enhance the flavor but also helps your body to absorb the iron better.