With spring rolling in, the first asparagus are for sale in the shops. Yay! In Europe I was used to having white Asparagus only. Here in New Zealand you can only get the green version of it. It’s just as delicious though 🙂
I’ve tried to create a creamy hollandaise sauce to go with it, using blended cashew nuts and the cooking water of the asparagus as the main ingredients. I was amazed by the result! We have been making this sauce so many times now. With or without asparagus – it’s so delicious and super easy and quick to make. Great, when you don’t have much time.
Update 2020: I have changed the original recipe slightly. It is now not only vegan and gluten-free but also without oil.
Simple Asparagus Hollandaise Sauce (Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free)
- powerful blender
- 35 g cashews
- 300 ml asparagus cooking water or normal water*
- 1 tbsp white rice flour heaped
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place all ingredients into a powerful blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a small sauce pan and gently bring to the boil.
- Let simmer for a few minutes until it thickens up, stirring constantly. Add
- a little bit of water if desired.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.