With spring rolling in, the first asparagus are for sale in the shops. Yay! In Europe I was used to having white Asparagus only. Here in New Zealand you can only get the green version of it. It’s just as delicious though 🙂
I’ve tried to create a creamy hollandaise sauce to go with it, using blended cashew nuts and the cooking water of the asparagus as the main ingredients. I was amazed by the result! We have been making this sauce so many times now. With or without asparagus – it’s so delicious and super easy and quick to make. Great, when you don’t have much time.
Update 2020: I have changed the original recipe slightly. It is now not only vegan and gluten-free but also without oil.
Simple Asparagus Hollandaise Sauce (Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free)
- powerful blender
- 35 g cashews
- 300 ml asparagus cooking water or normal water*
- 1 tbsp white rice flour heaped
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place all ingredients into a powerful blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a small sauce pan and gently bring to the boil.
- Let simmer for a few minutes until it thickens up, stirring constantly. Add
- a little bit of water if desired.