Perfect for holiday baking, a super easy and quick cookie dough. The recipe is vegan, gluten-free, sweetened with fruits and oil-free. The dough is wonderfully versatile and can be used for a variety of different cookies.
The dough is very similar to a classic shortbread dough and is easy to form and roll out. Before baking it should be left to rest chilled for approx. 30 minutes.
For sweetening I use dried dates. They create a lovely sweetness and also add to the silky texture of the dough (better don’t taste it though, I warned you! 😅). I have tried a variety of cookies with the dough.
Here are a few cookie variation ideas:
• To make jam filled thumbprint cookies, form the dough into small balls and press dent into it, using your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon. Fill the dent with some jam before baking.
• For marble cookies add some cocoa powder to half of the dough. Should it get too dry, add little bit of water. Knead the light coloured and dark colour dough together before forming the cookies.
• Add some cinnamon to create cinnamon star cookies (a favourite with my German family)
Super Easy Cookie Dough (Vegan, Gluten-free, Fruit-sweetened, Oil-free)
- 200 g rice flour (or other flour)
- 70 g almond flour (alternatively ground cashews or sunflower seeds)
- 2 tbsp psyllium fiber
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 100 g dates, pitted and chopped
- 170 ml warm water
- Start by soaking the dates with the warm water in a bowl. Then blend it smooth, using a stick blender.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour the date mixture into this bowl and stir to combine. A thick dough should form, which is easily pliable.
- Cover the bowl with the dough and place in fridge for approx. 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170° C (top/bottom heat). Roll out the dough between two sheets of baking paper. Cut out the cookies and place them on the baking tray. Repeat the step until the dough is used up.
- Bake the cookies for approx. 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Decorate to your liking. Enjoy 🙂