When it has to be something special, and smaller, then one of my favourite go-to’s is a cupcake. Especially when they come with my favourite flavour combination chocolate & pink chai.
On my blog there already is a recipe for bear cupcakes, which have a lovely, creamy chocolate frosting. You can find the recipe here.
Now I wanted some vegan, gluten-free cupcakes that are also fruit-sweetened and don’t need oil either. And even better, if they could be nut-free to make them extra allergy-friendly.
Turned out this was a bit challenging. After countless trial and error I am now very happy with the result. These cupcakes have a lovely, soft texture. And combined with the pink chai cream it’s a dream
Note: with this recipe, exact measurements of ingredients is key. I recommend a good quality kitchen scales and measuring spoons. I’m leaving a note in the recipe itself too.
Pink Chai Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten-free, Fruit-sweetened, Oil-free)
- 130 g buckwheat flour (see note)
- 30 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder
- 1 tsp psyllium fiber, ground
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 140 g dates, pitted and diced
- 360 ml water
- 1 tbsp tahini (or other nut/seed butter)
For the frosting:
- 70 g sunflower seeds (soaked in water for 4 hours)
- 50 g dates, pitted and diced
- 35 g cacao butter, melted
- 2-3 tsp red fruit powder (eg pink pittaya, raspberry or beetroot powder)
- 1 tsp chai spice (or cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 190°C (top/bottom heat). Mix the dry ingredients for the dough in a bowl.
- Blend dates, water and tahini in a powerful blender until smooth.
- Pour the date mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine (don’t over stir).
- Scoop the dough evenly into the muffin form and bake for approx 20 to 25 minutes or until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean. Take the cupcakes out of the form and let them cool down on a cake rack.
- For the chai frosting, blend all ingredients in a powerful blender until smooth (a high-speed blender with tamper is recommended).
- Transfer the blended mixture into a small bowl and let cool down in the fridge until it has firmed up (approx. 1 to 2 hours).
- Scoop the frosting into an icing bag and decorate the cupcakes. Garnish to your liking. Best stored chilled. Enjoy 🙂
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.