It was time to try a summer inspired version of pizza! I just love all these colors that come with summer! Whenever I empty the bags from the farmer’s market, the room gets instantly brightened up.
So I had to bring these colors onto the crunchy crust of a pizza! This pizza crust is made without yeast, using lots of sun flower seeds. It has the perfect crunchy but still slightly moist and chewy texture that I love. If you are a fan of thick and doughy pizza crusts, you can stop reading here 😉
There are so many options for toppings. Feel free to created your own combinations and flavours…and don’t hesitate to share them if you like 🙂
Capsicum Broccoli Pizza, with yeast-free crust (Vegan, Gluten-free)
For the crust:
- 200 g sunflower seeds (soaked in filtered water for a few hours then drained)
- 70 g buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- some extra flour for dusting I prefer rice flour
For the topping:
- 1 1/2 cup passata
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 capsicum
- 1/2 broccoli
For the cheesy cashew cream:
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked in filtered water for at least 6 hours then drained
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2-3 heaped tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- I like to blanch the broccoli before putting it onto the pizza. I fill a medium sized pot with enough water and bring it to boil. Then I chuck in the roughly cut broccoli pieces and wait until they almost start boiling again. At that point I turn off the heat and let the broccoli rest in the water for a few more minutes before I rinse it in a sieve and let it rest until needed.
- In the meantime blend the cashew nuts with 1/3 cup water and 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg to a fine cream (if it is too thick, add a little more water). Then add 2-3 heaped tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes and blend again for a short time. Add salt to taste.
- For the pizza sauce, add passata, thyme, garlic, pepper and salt to a small bowl, stirring it to mix. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Rinse and wash the sunflower seeds in a fine colander, let drain properly. In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients for the crust (buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt) I like to sift it into the bowl through a sieve to have it extra fine without crumbles.
- Take approx. half of the sunflower seeds and blend them with 1/4 cup water to a relatively fine paste. Add to the bowl with the remaining whole sunflower seeds and mix well.
- Spread a baking tray with some parchment paper and place half of the dough on it. Sprinkle with some of the extra flour and spread it evenly across the tray with your clean hands.
- Then scoop half of the pizza sauce on the dough, spreading it evenly. Add the toppings. Top with the cashew cream.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown. Depends on oven type!
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.