Yes, I love pizza! And who doesn’t? But sometimes would be great to have an option that isn’t only vegan and gluten-free but also yeast-free.
Some time ago I made this delicious vegan and gluten-free recipe Tarte Flambée that works without yeast. I found myself wondering if the base would work for a pizza as well. And after some slight modification of the recipe it sure does!
This pizza recipe comes with a yummy dairy-free option for the cheese topping as well. And it is not cashews, but the wonderful versatile macadamias. If you would like to use a version without cashews, I recommend this recipe here.
Vegan Gluten-free Pizza Without Yeast
Makes one 23cm pizza
For the dough
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoon psyllium fiber husk
- 1/3 teaspoon salt or less if you prefer
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
For the tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup passata
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar or other sweetener
- a few pinches salt if desired
For the ‘cheese’ topping
- 1/4 cup macadamias
- 1 teaspoon rice flour
- a few pinches salt
- 1-2 pinches smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yest flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (top-/bottom heat). Place a piece of baking paper over the base of a 23cm cake spring form. Then fasten the ring onto it. Lightly grease the inside as high as the dough will be (about 1cm). Then lightly dust with rice flour.
- For the dough, mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add olive oil and water and stir to combine. Don’t stir for too long.
- Transfer dough into the spring form and spread it evenly. Place in oven and bake until it is firm and an inserted stick comes out clean (about 12 minutes).
- In the meantime prepare the tomato sauce by combining the ingredients in a small bowl. Place aside.
- Prepare the ‘cheese’ topping buy blending the ingredients in a powerful mini-blinder (for example NutriBullett).
- When the dough is baked, take the springform out of the oven. Spread tomato sauce over the base, add toppings of your choice and drizzle with the ‘cheese’.
- Place in oven again and bake until the ‘cheese’ topping browns up lightly (about 15 minutes).