It is still blueberry season here in New Zealand and I keep coming up with new recipe ideas. This time I tried another supposedly great flavour combination: chocolate and blueberry.
I am usually not a big fan of combining fruit with chocolate but in this case I once again have to admit, it tastes damn delicious! 🙂
I have topped the blueberry chocolate cake with some vanilla cashew cream which really adds nicely. But it also works without it.
Blueberry Chocolate Cake (Vegan, Gluten-free, Without Refined Sugar, Low-Fat)
For a 18cm (7inch) spring-form you’ll need:
For the cake:
- 75 g fair-trade cocoa powder
- 70 g rice flour
- 30 g tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon psyllium fiber husk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 140 g dates
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 130 g blueberries
For the cashew vanilla drizzle:
- 35 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 3 hours, then rinse and drain them
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or essence
- extra sweetener if desired
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (top-/ bottom heat). Line the spring form with baking paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a blender, blend the dates and water until smooth. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop the dough into the spring form and spread evenly. Sprinkle blueberries on top and gently push them into the dough.
- Bake covered for approx. 20 to 25 minutes. When an inserted wooden skewer comes out slightly sticky, the cake is ready. I like to run the wooden skewer along the sides to make it easier to remove the spring form.
- For the cashew vanilla drizzle, blend all ingredients to a fine cream, using a powerful mini-blender.