This yummy tofu bolognese sauce is so good, that in all these years I have been making it, I have not had a single meat eater reject it.
Tofu doesn’t really have a good reputation among carnivores, but if you prepare it right, it has POTENTIAL!
This recipe is simple and easy to make – but is also full of flavour. The secret of my tofu bolognese: ground paprika. Lots of ground paprika! And herbs. Lots of herbs! 🙂
(Potentially) World’s Best Tofu Bolognese (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon coconut-oil or some water for an oil-free option
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 250 g Tofu
- 1 medium sized carrot finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery finely diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 teaspoon ground paprika
- 400 g crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- some water if needed
- Preheat the frying pan with the coconut oil or water. Sautee the onions.
- In the meantime, tear the tofu into 4 to 6 pieces and over the sink press each piece with your hands to get rid some of the juice. Then crumble the tofu into little pieces and put it aside.
- Cook until the tofu starts to get drier and turns slightly golden. Then add the carrots, garlic, chilli flakes, thyme, oregano, basil and stir in well.
- Shortly after add the ground paprika, stir it well to make sure it mixes well with the tofu.
- Add the passata and bring to boil while stirring constantly. Rinse the bottle of the tomatoes with a little water and add to the sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until the celery and carrots are soft. If the sauce is too thick you can add a bit more water.