This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and fruit-sweetened. You won’t find any cashews because I’m using almonds. With a powerful high-speed blender they can made just as creamy.
The great news: this vegan ice cream can be made with an ice cream machine as well as with a high-speed blender. Please note: A high-speed blender is essential in order to achieve a creamy consistency. A very fine graininess may still occur. Make sure to soak the almonds for at least 8 hours. Cashews or Macadamias are a good alternative too, with cashew being the creamiest option.
Makes approx. 1 liter of ice cream:
For the almond vanilla ice-cream:
- 1 cup (140g) almonds, soak them in water for 8 to 12 hours, then rinse and drain
- 1 cup (140) dates, pitted and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla
- 1 – 2 pinches salt
- 2 3/4 cups (700ml) water
For the blueberry sauce:
- 1 cup (140g) blueberries
For the chocolate sauce:
- 30g dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon rice syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or extra water)
- 2-4 teaspoon water (depending on how runny you like the chocolate sauce to be)
Instructions for ice cream maker:
1. Blend all ingredients in a powerful blender until smooth.
2. Pour into ice cream maker and churn until it is finished. Transfer mixture into a freezer safe container. You may want to store it in the freezer for a little while to make it firm up some more.
3. If you leave the ice cream in the freezer for longer, let the ice cream thaw for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
4. For the blueberry sauce, simply blend them shortly until smooth.
5. For the chocolate drizzle, first melt the chocolate by placing it in a mug that sits in a bowl with warm water. When the chocolate is melted, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Add the water slowly until it has reached the desired consistency.
6. Assemble the Sunday by scooping some blueberry sauce into the ice cream glass. Then add ice cream and more blueberry sauce as you go. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and garnish of your choice (I use blueberries and chopped pistachios).
Instructions with high-speed blender:
1. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
2. Pour mixture into large ice cube forms or approx. finger thick into freezer safe containers. Place in freezer.
3. Once frozen, chop up the slabs into rough chunks and place in high-speed blender. Blend on high-speed, using the temper to press the chunks into the blades (similar as you would make nice cream out of frozen bananas).
4. Transfer the ice cream to freezer safe container. You may want to store it in the freezer for a little while to make it firm up some more. If you leave the ice cream in the freezer for longer, let the ice cream thaw for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
For assembly of the Sundae Sunday see step 4 in the instructions above.