We are in the middle of summer her in New Zealand. I love how each season brings their own special produce, but nothing can beat summer.
Currently we have all sorts of berries, plums and other stone-fruit and pip-fruit is coming on. And not to forget my beloved rhubarb! 🙂
So I just had to play around with a new recipe idea for cake. This one turned out even better than expected. I decided to call it The Ultimate Fruit Cake because it works with all sorts of fruits! You can use berries, rhubarb, plums, apples and many other fruits. I recommend to choose a sour(ish) kind of fruit. This way you have a nice flavour contrast between the sweet dough and the topping.
As always this cake is vegan and gluten-free and I have replaced refined sugar with coconut sugar. Of course it will also work with other sweeteners of your choice 🙂
The Ultimate Fruit Cake (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 21cm springform
- 140 g white rice flour
- 60 g tapioca starch
- 90 g coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon psyllium fiber husk
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 70 g cashews dry
- 1 cup water
- 200 g (approx.) berries or fruit of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (top-/bottom heat). Line the springform pan with baking paper and grease the sides and sprinkle with some flour.
- Mix all dry ingredients (rice flour, tapioca starch, coconut sugar, psyllium fiber husk, baking powder) in a medium sized bowl.
- Blend the cashews and water until smooth. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the dough into the springform pan, spread it evenly and scatter fruit on top. Gently push fruit into the dough. Bake for approx. 20 minutes until the top turns golden brown or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Take out of springform and let cool down on cooling rack. If wished, sprinkle with some ground desiccated coconut or coconut milk powder.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.