Avocado season is in full swing now, here in New Zealand. At times I have so many of them, that new ways of using them up are required. I already made this No Bake Avocado Chocolate Cake.
But those avocados just keep coming.
With not much time on hand, I needed an easy, quick to make recipe. Vegan ice cream it was! And I’m so glad that I tried it. It’s super easy to make, super creamy and silky smooth.
As always, this recipe for avocado Chocolate Ice Cream is vegan, gluten-free and without refined sugar. You can make it with an ice cream maker as well as a powerful high-speed blender. You’ll find both options below
Makes approx. 1 liter:
300g avocado pulp
1/2 cup (75g) coconut sugar
1/2 cup (50g) FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder (if you live in NZ, I highly recommend the one from Trade Aid)
1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla
2 pinches salt
2 1/2 cups (625ml) water
Instructions for ice cream maker:
1. Blend all ingredients in a powerful blender until smooth.
2. Pour into ice cream maker and churn until it is finished. Transfer mixture into a freezer safe container. You may want to store it in the freezer for a little while to make it firm up some more.
3. If you leave the ice cream in the freezer for longer, let the ice cream thaw for at least 1/2 hour before serving. For the best texture though, place in fridge for approx. 4 hours before serving.
Instructions with high-speed blender:
1. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
2. Pour mixture into large ice cube forms or approx. finger thick into freezer safe containers. Place in freezer.
3. Once frozen, chop up the slabs into rough chunks and place in high-speed blender. Blend on high-speed, using the temper to press the chunks into the blades (similar as you would make nice cream out of frozen bananas).
4. Transfer the ice cream to freezer safe container. You may want to store it in the freezer for a little while to make it firm up some more.
If you leave the ice cream in the freezer for longer, let the ice cream thaw for at least 1/2 hour before serving. For the best texture though, place in fridge for approx. 4 hours before serving.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.