Last weekend I did some more Christmas baking. These cookies had been on the list for quite a while. Once they were in the oven I couldn’t believe this utterly delicious smell that wafted through the house. This is Christmas feeling! How could I forget?
As the name says already, cinnamon is the star ingredient in these vegan and gluten-free cinnamon star cookies. It adds an amazingly cozy flavour.
I have used hazelnuts for the dough, but you can also use almonds or other nuts.
German Cinnamon Star Cookies (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- cookie cutter
For the cookies:
- 290 g hazelnuts
- 90 g coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoon psyllium fibre husk
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 pinches salt
- 1/4 cup water
For the glazing:
- 25 g cacao butter
- 35 g coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (top-/bottom heat) and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Pulse the hazelnuts until finely ground and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add water to the bowl and stir well until combined. Scoop the dough onto a sheet of baking paper, place another sheet of baking paper on top and roll out until approx. half a centimeter high.
- Use cookie cutter to cut out stars and place them onto baking tray. Knead the remaining the dough to a ball, place on baking paper, cover with additional baking paper and roll out again and cut out cookies. Repeat until dough is finished.
- Place tray in oven and bake for approx. 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool down before glazing.
- For the glazing, melt ingredients in a double boiler. Then let cool down a little until the liquid becomes thicker again. Use a teaspoon to place a small dollop in the middle of a cookie and pull glazing to the corners.
- Let cool down until set. Store in air-tight container in a cool and dry place.