It’s orange season here in NZ! So it was time for a new cake creation with these delicious, healthy little things 🙂
Last year I made this hazelnut chocolate orange cake. But this time I wanted to make a raw orange chocolate cake version.
As always, this cake recipe is vegan, gluten-free and without refined sugar. And if you are based in New Zealand, I can tell you that the flavour is very close to Jaffas 🙂
No-Bake Orange Chocolate Slices (Vegan, Gluten-free, No Refined Sugar)
- 17 x 28 cm cake tin
- highspeed blender
For the crust:
- 300 g almonds or other nuts (soak them in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain)
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 25 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 60 ml water
For the orange layer:
- 280 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, the rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted
- 3 to 4 zest of spray-free unwaxed oranges (more if you like a stronger flavour)
- 310 ml orange juice (310 ml = approx. 3-4 oranges)
- 125 ml water
For the chocolate layer:
- 140 g dates pitted
- 250 ml water
- 50 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 30 g cacao butter or coconut oil, melted
- Line the cake tin with baking paper. Pulse the nuts to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl (it might pay to do that in two patches).
- Pulse dates to fine crumbles and transfer to the bowl. Sift in cocoa or cacao powder and stir well.
- Add water and mix well until it forms a sticky dough.
- Scoop dough into cake tin and spread evenly.
- For the orange layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. If you wish to garnish the cake as seen in the photos, take 2-3 teaspoon of the orange filling away. Pour the rest of filling into cake tin and spread evenly. Place in freezer for a while until it sets a bit.
- For the chocolate layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Spread gently on top of the orange layer.
- Mix the set aside orange filling with just enough warm water until it becomes watery enough to drizzle it over the cake. My decoration is quite rough, but I think you get the idea 🙂
- Drizzle lines of orange filling over the chocolate layer. Then use the narrow side of a teaspoon to pull it across the cake.
- Place in freezer until set (3 to 4 hours). For best results let defrost in fridge until soft enough to cut and keep chilled until serving.