It’s orange season here in NZ! So it was time for a new cake creation with these delicious, healthy little things 🙂
Last year I made this hazelnut chocolate orange cake. But this time I wanted to make a raw orange chocolate cake version.
As always, this cake recipe is vegan, gluten-free and without refined sugar. And if you are based in New Zealand, I can tell you that the flavour is very close to Jaffas 🙂
No-Bake Orange Chocolate Slices (Vegan, Gluten-free, No Refined Sugar)
- 17 x 28 cm cake tin
- highspeed blender
For the crust:
- 300 g almonds or other nuts (soak them in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain)
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 25 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 60 ml water
For the orange layer:
- 280 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, the rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted
- 3 to 4 zest of spray-free unwaxed oranges (more if you like a stronger flavour)
- 310 ml orange juice (310 ml = approx. 3-4 oranges)
- 125 ml water
For the chocolate layer:
- 140 g dates pitted
- 250 ml water
- 50 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 30 g cacao butter or coconut oil, melted
- Line the cake tin with baking paper. Pulse the nuts to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl (it might pay to do that in two patches).
- Pulse dates to fine crumbles and transfer to the bowl. Sift in cocoa or cacao powder and stir well.
- Add water and mix well until it forms a sticky dough.
- Scoop dough into cake tin and spread evenly.
- For the orange layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. If you wish to garnish the cake as seen in the photos, take 2-3 teaspoon of the orange filling away. Pour the rest of filling into cake tin and spread evenly. Place in freezer for a while until it sets a bit.
- For the chocolate layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Spread gently on top of the orange layer.
- Mix the set aside orange filling with just enough warm water until it becomes watery enough to drizzle it over the cake. My decoration is quite rough, but I think you get the idea 🙂
- Drizzle lines of orange filling over the chocolate layer. Then use the narrow side of a teaspoon to pull it across the cake.
- Place in freezer until set (3 to 4 hours). For best results let defrost in fridge until soft enough to cut and keep chilled until serving.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.