Winter is on its way here in New Zealand. And with it comes a whole heap of new seasonal fruit and vege! Limes signal the new citrus season.
But this year things seem to be a little weird. For example, one can still buy fresh, locally grown strawberries! I don’t know what the growers secret is, but it surely is impressive!
Limes… Strawberries… Doesn’t it ask for a no-bake lime strawberry cake? Well, I think so. Again, the cake is completely vegan, gluten-free and without refined sugars.
…and by the way, it might seem like you need a whole lot of ingredients for this recipe, but it is only 8 ingredients to make this divine treat 🙂
No-Bake Lime Strawberry Cake (Vegan, Gluten-free, No Refined Sugar)
- 18cm (7inch) cake spring-from
For the crust:
- 200 g macadamias (or almonds) preferably soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then drained
- 105 g dates pitted and diced
- 1-2 tablespoon water if using dry nuts
For the lime layer:
- 280 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, the rinse and drain
- 70 g dates pitted
- 125 g water
- 85 g lime juice (approx. 2-3 small limes)
- 3 piece zest of small limes
- 1 handful of baby spinach leaves optional, used for color purposes
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil optional
For the strawberry layer:
- 400 g strawberries
- 140 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, the rinse and drain
- 70 g dates pitted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil optional
- For the crust, blitz the macadamias in a blender to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Then blitz the dates to fine crumbles and add to the bowl.
- Mix well. It should form a relatively sticky dough. If too dry, add a little extra water. Line spring form with baking paper, scoop dough into spring form and spread evenly.
- For the lime layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. You might need to scrape the mixture down the sides or use tamper. Only add a little extra water if the mixture won’t blend at all.
- Pour the lime layer into the spring form and spread evenly. Place in freezer while preparing the strawberry layer.
- For the strawberry layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. You might need to scrape the mixture down the sides or use tamper. Only add a little extra water if the mixture won’t blend.
- Carefully pour the strawberry layer over the lime layer and spread evenly. I used dehydrated raspberries and chopped pistachios for garnish.
- Place in freezer until set. Let defrost a little before cutting slices. For best results, let then defrost completely in fridge – the texture will be divine! 🙂
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.