Winter is on its way here in New Zealand. And with it comes a whole heap of new seasonal fruit and vege! Limes signal the new citrus season.
But this year things seem to be a little weird. For example, one can still buy fresh, locally grown strawberries! I don’t know what the growers secret is, but it surely is impressive!
Limes… Strawberries… Doesn’t it ask for a no-bake lime strawberry cake? Well, I think so. Again, the cake is completely vegan, gluten-free and without refined sugars.
…and by the way, it might seem like you need a whole lot of ingredients for this recipe, but it is only 8 ingredients to make this divine treat 🙂
No-Bake Lime Strawberry Cake (Vegan, Gluten-free, No Refined Sugar)
- 18cm (7inch) cake spring-from
For the crust:
- 200 g macadamias (or almonds) preferably soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then drained
- 105 g dates pitted and diced
- 1-2 tablespoon water if using dry nuts
For the lime layer:
- 280 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, the rinse and drain
- 70 g dates pitted
- 125 g water
- 85 g lime juice (approx. 2-3 small limes)
- 3 piece zest of small limes
- 1 handful of baby spinach leaves optional, used for color purposes
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil optional
For the strawberry layer:
- 400 g strawberries
- 140 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, the rinse and drain
- 70 g dates pitted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil optional
- For the crust, blitz the macadamias in a blender to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Then blitz the dates to fine crumbles and add to the bowl.
- Mix well. It should form a relatively sticky dough. If too dry, add a little extra water. Line spring form with baking paper, scoop dough into spring form and spread evenly.
- For the lime layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. You might need to scrape the mixture down the sides or use tamper. Only add a little extra water if the mixture won’t blend at all.
- Pour the lime layer into the spring form and spread evenly. Place in freezer while preparing the strawberry layer.
- For the strawberry layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. You might need to scrape the mixture down the sides or use tamper. Only add a little extra water if the mixture won’t blend.
- Carefully pour the strawberry layer over the lime layer and spread evenly. I used dehydrated raspberries and chopped pistachios for garnish.
- Place in freezer until set. Let defrost a little before cutting slices. For best results, let then defrost completely in fridge – the texture will be divine! 🙂