Oooooh, I’m working through my little walnut stash! Have you tried that walnut ice-cream yet? With only 3 ingredients? Well, if you are not looking for ice-cream but for something more along the lines of a cake then this recipe might be it.
According to Mr Vegan Monster this is the best cake that I have made so far. Big words, I know. But he tried quite a few over the years, so there must be something to it 😉
This recipe for no-bake walnut chocolate slices is as always vegan, gluten-free, without refined sugar and this time also free from cashews. And trust me, you won’t miss them. The walnuts create an amazing creamy, cozy filling!
No-Bake Walnut Chocolate Slices (Vegan, Gluten-free, Fruit-sweetened, No Cashews)
For the crust:
- 140 g hazelnuts (or other nuts), soak in water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 105 g dates pitted and diced
- 25 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoon water
For the walnut filling:
- 220 g walnuts soak in water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder optional
For the chocolate layer:
- 70 g dates pitted and diced
- 190 g water
- 50 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 30 g cacao butter melted
- For the crust, place nuts and dates into high-speed blender and pulse until crumbly.
- Transfer to a bowl, sift in cacao and add just enough water to form a knead-able dough.
- Line cake tin with baking paper. Scoop dough into tin, spread evenly and press firm.
- For the the walnut filling, blend all ingredients in high-speed blender until smooth. A tamper will be needed to keep the mixture moving while blending.
- Spread walnut filling in cake tin and place in freezer while preparing the chocolate layer.
- For the chocolate layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Spread on walnut layer and garnish to your liking (I use chopped walnuts).
- Place in freezer until firm (approx. 3 to 4 hours). Cut slices while still semi-frozen then chill until serving.