Oooooh, I’m working through my little walnut stash! Have you tried that walnut ice-cream yet? With only 3 ingredients? Well, if you are not looking for ice-cream but for something more along the lines of a cake then this recipe might be it.
According to Mr Vegan Monster this is the best cake that I have made so far. Big words, I know. But he tried quite a few over the years, so there must be something to it 😉
This recipe for no-bake walnut chocolate slices is as always vegan, gluten-free, without refined sugar and this time also free from cashews. And trust me, you won’t miss them. The walnuts create an amazing creamy, cozy filling!
No-Bake Walnut Chocolate Slices (Vegan, Gluten-free, Fruit-sweetened, No Cashews)
For the crust:
- 140 g hazelnuts (or other nuts), soak in water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 105 g dates pitted and diced
- 25 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoon water
For the walnut filling:
- 220 g walnuts soak in water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder optional
For the chocolate layer:
- 70 g dates pitted and diced
- 190 g water
- 50 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 30 g cacao butter melted
- For the crust, place nuts and dates into high-speed blender and pulse until crumbly.
- Transfer to a bowl, sift in cacao and add just enough water to form a knead-able dough.
- Line cake tin with baking paper. Scoop dough into tin, spread evenly and press firm.
- For the the walnut filling, blend all ingredients in high-speed blender until smooth. A tamper will be needed to keep the mixture moving while blending.
- Spread walnut filling in cake tin and place in freezer while preparing the chocolate layer.
- For the chocolate layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Spread on walnut layer and garnish to your liking (I use chopped walnuts).
- Place in freezer until firm (approx. 3 to 4 hours). Cut slices while still semi-frozen then chill until serving.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.