Here it is! My latest (raw) no bake cake recipe! As always, this recipe is vegan, free from gluten and this time also completely free from nuts as well as coconut. And it is sweetened with fruit. It can hardly get better… 🙂
I called this cake a Double Chocolate Cake. It actually is more of a triple chocolate cake though. I have to warn you that this will require a lot of cocoa or cacao powder too… If you live in New Zealand, I can highly recommend the FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder from trade aid. You can buy it in bulk and save a little money while doing so. It will also last a good while 🙂
…and by the way, you only need 5 ingredients for this recipe 🙂
No Bake Double Chocolate Cake (Raw, Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free, Fruit Sweetened)
- high-speed blender
- 7inch (18cm) spring form
For the crust:
- 150 g sunflower seeds
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 25 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/4 cup filtered water
For the first chocolate layer:
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds soak in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted
- 50 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 1/4 cup filtered water
For the top chocolate layer:
- 70 g sunflower seeds, soak in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted
- 75 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 cup filtered water
- For the crust, in a high-speed blender or food processor, pulse the sunflower seeds to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Pulse dates to fine crumbles and add to bowl.
- Sift in cacao or cocoa powder, add water and mix well.
- Line cake spring-form with baking paper. Scoop dough for the crust into spring-form and spread it evenly, pressing it gently smooth.
- For the first chocolate layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. I find it helps to start with a few pulses until the mixture starts moving. Start with 1 1/4 cup water and add more only if needed.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin. Spread evenly. Place in freezer while preparing the next layer.
- For the top chocolate layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Take cake tin out of freezer and pour the mixture on top, spread evenly.
- Add garnish of your choice (I used freeze-dried raspberries and shredded coconut).
- Place in freezer until set (approx. 6 hours). Cut slices when it is just soft enough, this way you’ll get nice and clean edges. For best results, let defrost in fridge to achieve a consistent smooth and silky texture.