If I knew how easy it is to make this kind of thing, it would have happened a long time ago.
Because for quite some time, I had this bottle of probiotic capsules sitting in my pantry, meaning to use it to try some cultured cheese alternatives.
When I first made this vegan cream cheese, I couldn’t believe how much it reminds me of that popular brand. OK, it’s been many years since I last had it, but in my opinion it really does taste very similar. A great advantage: while eating it, you’ll get your probiotics as well! 🙂
You can use pretty much any seed or nut. My preferred blend at this stage is cashews and macadamias. You can also use it as salad dressing. So yummy!
This recipe will create one large jar of vegan ‘cream’ cheese. If you wish to have a smaller amount, you might need to make it in a powerful mini-blender (my large high-speed blender struggles with amounts that are smaller than what’s listed below).
Super Easy Cultured Cream ‘Cheese’ (Vegan, Gluten-free, Raw)
- powerful mini-blender
- 140 g cashews soak them in filtered water for at least 4 hours, then rinse and drain
- 1/2 cup macadamias soak them in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup filtered water start with less and add more if needed
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 content of probiotic capsules
- Blend all ingredients until tick, creamy and smooth.
- Transfer to a suitable container. I like to use small mason jars. Make sure you don’t fill it more than half full (it will grow once it ferments). Loosely place lid on top, don’t close it to allow it to breathe.
- Place in a warm spot for at least 8 hours. In my experience it needs to be at least 20°C, or even better 25°C. Because it is colder than that in my home, I use a chilly bin into which I place a hot water bottle and the jars with soon-to-be cream ‘cheese’. Add salt & pepper to taste. Store in fridge and use within about 4 days.