It’s kiwifruit season here in New Zealand! While I’m not a fan of those sickly sweet golden kiwifruits, I’m a real sucker for the green variety with its slight tangy flavour. These furry little things are a real super food, bursting with vitamin C and many other important minerals and vitamins.
I created this no-bake kiwifruit vanilla slice recipe quite a while ago. With fresh kiwifruits now popping up on the shelves again, I had to make it again…and share the vegan and gluten-free recipe with you 🙂
While this recipe calls for green kiwifruit which can be quite tangy, the overall flavour is more on the mild & sweet side of things 🙂
No-Bake Kiwifruit Vanilla Slices / Cake (Vegan, Gluten-free, No Refined Sugar)
- high-speed blender
- 17 x 28 cm form cake tin
For the crust:
- 200 g macadamias (or almonds, preferably soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then drained)
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 1-2 tablespoon water if using dry nuts
For the vanilla layer:
- 280 g cashews soak them for approx. 6 hours, rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or vanilla paste
For the kiwifruit layer:
- 300 g kiwi-fruit peeled
- 45 g fresh spinach
- 35 g dates pitted and diced
- Chopped pistachios and shredded coconut for garnish optional
- For the crust, pulse the nuts to fine crumbles, using a high-speed blender. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- Pulse the dates to fine crumbles and add to the bowl. If using dry nuts, add one or two tablespoon water until the dough is relatively sticky.
- Line cake tin with baking paper. Scoop dough into cake tin and spread it evenly. Place in fridge or freezer while preparing the vanilla layer.
- For the vanilla layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour into cake tin and spread evenly.
- Then, without cleaning the blender, blend kiwifruit and dates until smooth, then add add spinach and shortly blend until smooth.
- Scoop kiwifruit mixture in dollops onto the vanilla layer. Then use a teaspoon to swirl it all through. Add garnish of your choice.
- Place in freezer until set. Cut when still firm and let then defrost further before serving.