It’s kiwifruit season here in New Zealand! While I’m not a fan of those sickly sweet golden kiwifruits, I’m a real sucker for the green variety with its slight tangy flavour. These furry little things are a real super food, bursting with vitamin C and many other important minerals and vitamins.
I created this no-bake kiwifruit vanilla slice recipe quite a while ago. With fresh kiwifruits now popping up on the shelves again, I had to make it again…and share the vegan and gluten-free recipe with you 🙂
While this recipe calls for green kiwifruit which can be quite tangy, the overall flavour is more on the mild & sweet side of things 🙂
No-Bake Kiwifruit Vanilla Slices / Cake (Vegan, Gluten-free, No Refined Sugar)
- high-speed blender
- 17 x 28 cm form cake tin
For the crust:
- 200 g macadamias (or almonds, preferably soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then drained)
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 1-2 tablespoon water if using dry nuts
For the vanilla layer:
- 280 g cashews soak them for approx. 6 hours, rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or vanilla paste
For the kiwifruit layer:
- 300 g kiwi-fruit peeled
- 45 g fresh spinach
- 35 g dates pitted and diced
- Chopped pistachios and shredded coconut for garnish optional
- For the crust, pulse the nuts to fine crumbles, using a high-speed blender. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- Pulse the dates to fine crumbles and add to the bowl. If using dry nuts, add one or two tablespoon water until the dough is relatively sticky.
- Line cake tin with baking paper. Scoop dough into cake tin and spread it evenly. Place in fridge or freezer while preparing the vanilla layer.
- For the vanilla layer, blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour into cake tin and spread evenly.
- Then, without cleaning the blender, blend kiwifruit and dates until smooth, then add add spinach and shortly blend until smooth.
- Scoop kiwifruit mixture in dollops onto the vanilla layer. Then use a teaspoon to swirl it all through. Add garnish of your choice.
- Place in freezer until set. Cut when still firm and let then defrost further before serving.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.