Autumn has announced its arrival here in New Zealand. Days are getting shorter and nights are cooler. And a few typical summer veges are disappearing out of the garden. Hold on, I say. I was hoping all summer long to try this zucchini chocolate cake! Luckily I received some extra zucchini from a friend, and the recipe could be tested and tried. Successfully!
The thing with this zucchini cake is that it allows to create a moist cake that doesn’t need any additional oil or nut-flours. And you get a bit of vege with your sweet treat. Pretty nice!
And as always, this recipe for zucchini chocolate cake is vegan, gluten-free and without added oil. The dreamy, creamy coconut chocolate ganache adds the perfect sweetness and is super easy to make. If you have a very sweet tooth, you might want to add a little more sweetness to the dough though.
Zucchini Chocolate Cake with Coconut Ganache (Vegan, Gluten-free, No Added Oil)
For the dough:
- 70 g buckwheat flour
- 75 g rice flour
- 50 g FAIR-TRADE cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 185 g grated zucchini, packed
- 90 g coconut sugar
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon psyllium fiber husk
- 250 ml water
For the ganache:
- 100 g dark chocolate drops or chopped chocolate
- 100 g coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 200°C (top-/bottom heat). Line the base of a spring from with baking paper. I recommend to cut a long strip of baking paper and line the ring of the spring form as well.
- Mix the buckwheat flour, rice flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Blend coconut sugar, cardamom pods, psyllium fiber husk and water in a blender until smooth.
- Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients together with the grated zucchini. Mix well but don’t stir for too long.
- Spread dough evenly in spring form and place in oven. Bake covered (I place an un-coated baking tray in the rack above to shield the cake from direct upper heat) for approx. 30 minutes or until an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Let cake cool down on a cake rack before preparing the chocolate ganache.
- For the chocolate ganache, melt the chocolate by using the double boiler method. Then add the coconut cream and stir to combine. Let the ganache cool down a little until it becomes more thick. Then you can spread it on the cake. Garnish if you like. Place in fridge until the ganache has set.