These also make a great cold treat in summer when you have them semi-frozen. I won’t try and convince you to make this treat with many more words. I rather let the pictures speak for themselves 😉
And yes, it looks like a long list of ingredients, but it is only nine that you need 🙂
Salted Caramel Slices (Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, No Refined Sugars)
- 27 x 18cm tray
For the crust:
- 150 g almonds (or other nuts), soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then drained
- 105 g dates pitted and diced
- 50 g desiccated coconut
For the vanilla filling:
- 210 g cashews soaked in filtered water for at least 3 hours, then drained
- 105 g dates
- 100 g desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoon vanilla paste or essence
For the salted caramel:
- 2 dried figs diced
- 1/4 cup dates pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup water more, if too thick
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- For garnish I have used some chopped walnuts.
- Pulse the almonds to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Pulse the dates and add to the bowl. Pour in the desiccated coconut and mix well.
- Line the cake tin with baking paper. Pour the dough for the crust onto the tray and spread it evenly and firmly. Place in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- For the vanilla filling, blend all ingredients to a fine cream. I like to start with the dates and water and then add the rest.
- Take the cake tin out of the freezer and pour the filling into it. Spread it evenly.
- Then make the ‘salted caramel’ by blending all ingredients to a creamy paste. Place a few dollops of the ‘salted caramel’ on top of the vanilla layer and then use a teaspoon to make swirls. Gently shake it to make it set evenly again.
- Place in the freezer until set. Let defrost a little before cutting.