Because they are such an incredibly easy and quick solution to whip up some delicious, filling, healthier, vegan and gluten-free snack.
And please view this recipe just a base for so many variations.
There are so many options. I’ll list a few inspirations below:
- Replace cocoa / cacao powder with a teaspoon of cinnamon (while using less water).
- Use other dried fruit instead of dates (apricots, apples, plums, you name it)
- Roll them in chopped pistachios for a cute green tinge, or use freeze dried fruit powder.
- For a nut-free option use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, but make sure to still soak them overnight.
Super Easy Energy Balls (Vegan, Gluten-free, Refined Sugar Free)
- 150 g nuts soak them in filtered water for at least 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 140 g dates pitted and diced
- 25 – 50 g FAIR-TRADE cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (approx) water
- I used some desiccated coconut and ground freeze dried raspberries to garnish.
- Pulse the nuts in a high-speed blender to fine crumbles and transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- Pulse dates to fine crumbles and add to the bowl.
- Sift in cacao or cocoa powder and stir well.
- Add just enough water until the dough becomes moist and sticky.
- Roll bliss balls and place aside. Roll in garnish of your choice.