Easter came and went so quickly! I hope you had a good time in your bubble. I’ve been working on this exciting yeast-free burger bun / bread roll recipe. I has an amazingly soft and quite fluffy.
With Easter around the corner, I decided to turn them into hot cross buns by adding some sweetness, spices and raisins. It worked out very well! Yay! 🙂
I’m still blown away how yummy these hot cross buns are, and how they are vegan, gluten-free, oil-free AND yeast-free.
Hot Cross Buns (Vegan, Gluten-free, Yeast-free, Oil-free)
For the dough
- 120 g buckwheat flour
- 120 g rice flour
- 30 g corn flour
- 2-3 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g raisins
- 120 g cooked pumpkin
- 70 g coconut sugar
- 350 ml water
- 4 tablespoon psyllium fiber husk
For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot water
For the crosses
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 teaspoon buckwheat flour
- 2 pinches guar gum
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 210°C (top-/bottom heat)*. Prepare the glaze by mixing the ingredients in s small bowl or cup until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the crosses. The texture should be fairly thick and pasty, but thin enough to be able to pipe it easily.
- Blend pumpkin, coconut sugar and water shortly in a blender. Then add psyllium fiber husk and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Add the blended pumpkin mixture. Stir and knead the dough until it is combined.
- Form buns with wet and cold hands and place on baking tray. Then brush with the coconut glaze.
- Transfer the mixture for the crosses into a piping bag or icing bottle. Should it have thickened up too much, add a few more drops of water.
- Pipe the crosses onto the buns. Place the tray in the oven and bake for approx. 25 to 30 minutes.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe, I’d love to hear from you! And if you remake this recipe, please share the picture with me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
Thank you so much for this recipe! I have to avoid yeast, gluten, dairy and eggs and it is so difficult to find decent recipes!
I had some sweet potato to hand and used that, and also replaced a lot of the raisins with glace mixed peel as I’ve heard that raisins can contain yeast. They came out pretty good!
Thanks so much for your feedback. I’m so happy to hear that 🙂
Also thanks so much on the info regarding potential yeast in raisins, I wasn’t aware of that yet.
All the best