Easter came and went so quickly! I hope you had a good time in your bubble. I’ve been working on this exciting yeast-free burger bun / bread roll recipe. I has an amazingly soft and quite fluffy.
With Easter around the corner, I decided to turn them into hot cross buns by adding some sweetness, spices and raisins. It worked out very well! Yay! 🙂
I’m still blown away how yummy these hot cross buns are, and how they are vegan, gluten-free, oil-free AND yeast-free.
Hot Cross Buns (Vegan, Gluten-free, Yeast-free, Oil-free)
For the dough
- 120 g buckwheat flour
- 120 g rice flour
- 30 g corn flour
- 2-3 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g raisins
- 120 g cooked pumpkin
- 70 g coconut sugar
- 350 ml water
- 4 tablespoon psyllium fiber husk
For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot water
For the crosses
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 teaspoon buckwheat flour
- 2 pinches guar gum
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 2-3 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 210°C (top-/bottom heat)*. Prepare the glaze by mixing the ingredients in s small bowl or cup until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ingredients for the crosses. The texture should be fairly thick and pasty, but thin enough to be able to pipe it easily.
- Blend pumpkin, coconut sugar and water shortly in a blender. Then add psyllium fiber husk and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Add the blended pumpkin mixture. Stir and knead the dough until it is combined.
- Form buns with wet and cold hands and place on baking tray. Then brush with the coconut glaze.
- Transfer the mixture for the crosses into a piping bag or icing bottle. Should it have thickened up too much, add a few more drops of water.
- Pipe the crosses onto the buns. Place the tray in the oven and bake for approx. 25 to 30 minutes.